St. Landry Parish Story Ideas
We have prepared a Media Profile sheet for your reference that will tell you more about our area and interesting tidbits that we know will peak your interest. Should you like to request a press kit from our office you may do so here.
View our most recent issue of What's New in SLP!
OUR HERITAGE, CULTURE & LIFE:
- Cajuns & Creoles-What is the difference?
- The history of one of Opelousas' most famous citizens, Jim Bowie
- Zydeco music & Cajun music-What is the difference?
- Get out of New Orleans and Celebrate Mardi Gras in the Country (Eunice's Courir de Mardi Gras)
- The haunting of Chretien Point Plantation in Sunset, LA
- The history of Holy Ghost Catholic Church (Opelousas, LA) - home to the largest Catholic African-American congregation in the United States.
- Who was Tony Chachere and how did he make the little green can the most popular Cajun/Creole seasoning?
- The Academy of the Sacred Heart (Grand Coteau,LA), the second oldest institution of learning west of the Mississippi, is home to a documented miracle. Who was Saint John Berchmans?
- The Zydeco Cajun Prairie Scenic Byway-explore St. Landry Parish, as well as Acadia and Evangeline Parishes.
- Explore the town of Washington , once the second largest port for steamboats in Louisiana during the 1820s and check out Louisiana's most original and unusual restaurant.
- Get out of the city and celebrate Mardi Gras in the Country (Eunice's Courir de Mardi Gras)
- Restored Cajun Prairie touted as one of the best in the United States
- St. Landry Parish music makers: Geno Delafose, Hadley Castille, Marc and Ann Savoy, Clifton Chenier (to name a few). What are their contributions to Louisiana's music appeal?
- St. Landry Parish Festivals: World Championship Crawfish Etouffee Cookoff, Catfish Festival, Celebration of Herbs & Gardens, Southwest Louisiana Zydeco Festival, and Cracklin' Festival--Just to wet your appetite for good ole South Louisiana food and fun!
- St. Landry Parish, the Crossroads of Acadiana, offers a wonderful weekend getaway for individuals and families.
- Evangeline Downs Racino, located in Opelousas, LA--the first racetrack & casino to be built from the ground up.
- What is the history of the Orphan Train that came down to Opelousas from New York?
- The Gateway to the Atchafalaya Basin
- Every Saturday night Rendez-vous des Cajuns Radio & TV Show
FOOD/AGRI CULTURAL RELATED TOPICS -TOURS:
- What are crawfish, where do they come from and how do you eat them?
- What are cracklins and how do you make them?
- From plate lunches to Pecan Grove Shrimp--St. Landry Parish offers it all!
- What is boudin?
- St. Landry Parish food manufacturers (hot sauces, seasonings, boudin, sausage, etc.)
- Sample our seasoning and create your own (Targil Seasoning & Butcher Supplies)